> >> Unfortunately the two CAS able to interact with LyX in Win7 are paid.
  > >> Maybe there is also a workaround for Maxima, which would help the
  > >> freeware and open source cause :)

AFAIK, LyX is open source software, also Octave is open source, so why not
supporting Octave as the standard CAS for LyX. The QtOctave works very good on
Windows and it has a lot of compatibility with MatLab with a lot of plugins and
interactions with Qt. I don´t think supporting a paid software is a good idea
because we will be away of the GPL License.
Just my 2c

Alex