David,
To my knowledge (I am not an expert on Maxima), wxmaxima is the graphical
interface and you should have a server called maxima.exe somewhere in a
sub-folder. I cannot check it because I am not under windows anymore, but
this is what I have in OSX (in fact, we have two different applications:
Maxima and wxmaxima). The same is true also for Maple: you normally have an
executable for the GUI, and another for the computation server. Lyx
normally needs to have access to the server. So you should give in the path
the path to the server, and not the one to the GUI.
Just my two cents.

Murat

--
Prof. Murat Yildizoglu