On 12/21/2022 9:59 AM, Wayne Lorentz wrote:

While it's nice that everyone in this community is happy to vouch for him, how is someone who is not part of this mailing list supposed to know that he's not some fly-by-night scam artist?  Or perhaps dead, which happens all too often in retro computing?  Decode and send an e-mail, then wait six months for a reply that may never come?  Asking someone to send $100 to another country requires establishing a basic level of trust.

I don't think making a Paypal link confers any more validity to his business than the current Ordering Information page.  In fact, I'd state that the current system shows more integrity, as "fly-by-night" scam artists make it insanely easy to complete the purchase, in hopes of ensnaring more people who are not diligent. As well, A paypal link does not address the concern over a non response, and the email path would be safer in that case, as no money would have changed hands until a conversation is in place.

As John notes and Greg explains, this is how Steve wishes to do business, and the community accepts that.  I think you would be within your rights to gently reach out to Steve and encourage him to formalize his business, but I'd dial down the tone in the public emails. There's enough drama in all of our lives, goodness knows we don't need any more in our hobbies.

I'd say, if you are not personally comfortable purchasing from Steve given the system he has in place, you absolutely should not do so.

Jim