On Aug 10, 2017, at 9:32 PM, John Robinson <profilecoven...@me.com
<mailto:profilecoven...@me.com>> wrote:

> If you have friends considering these products you might want to have them
> check Consumer Reports……

I long ago stopped trusting Consumer Reports for much of anything except cars
and home appliances—the stuff they test all the time and for which they have
developed expertise.

Years ago, I saw a report they completely messed up on bicycle brake pads. I
knew something about bicycle brake pads because I used to be a pretty serious
cyclist. They took a weighted bicycle wheel in a test jig and spun it up to a
certain rpm and tested how quickly different pads could bring it to a stop. The
highest rated were the ones that stopped it most quickly. The problem was good
pads are designed to provide even friction and steady slowing because locking
the wheel is a bad thing. For example, so you don’t go over the handlebars, if
you just tap the front brake.

I’ve always been annoyed by their methodology and conclusions when testing
computers.

Then there’s the recent débâcle over the iPhone 4 antenna and flawed battery
testing method in the 2016 MacBook Pro. (They recanted both of these.)

L^2

---
‌Lee Larson‌  leelar...@me.com <mailto:leelar...@me.com>‌

‌The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in
Australia is the law of Australia. ‌— Malcolm Turnbull
‌Australian Prime Minister, July 14, 2017‌
‌