On 26/11/16 23:29, Mike Ross wrote:

> So the question is what am I supposed to link to?  There are a few I can try but
> its a bit painful doing it trial and error.
> help here is appreciated.

I'm not sure what Xylotex.hal file you started with, but the example
configuration has entries for 4 axis (and the cape can support more
using the IDC header):

https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit/blob/master/configs/ARM/BeagleBone/Xylotex/Xylotex.hal#L227-L279
I.
I'm using the Xylotex.hal that is part of the machinekit image from Robert Nelson.

You need to make sure you are loading the hal_pru_generic driver with
the appropriate number specified for num_stepgens:

https://github.com/machinekit/machinekit/blob/master/configs/ARM/BeagleBone/Xylotex/Xylotex.ini#L3

...otherwise, you just need to tie whatever position command you are
using for your tool changer to the hal_pru_generic stepgen driver to
create the step/dir signals.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

So I have the stepgen making steps for the stepper motor when I call an M6 toolchange.
The problem I have now is 2 fold.
 1st is that I get a following error for the toolchanger.  I sort of knew this would happen based on the notes but I can't figure out what to unlink without screwing everything up.

Because the stepgen used to move the toolchanger is connected directly to the component, any form of feedback will always result in a
following error
The component connects to stepgen.X.pos-cmd and the stepgen.X.position-fb is not connected to anything, because
Machinekit has no knowledge of axis X being told to move, so will error.

 2nd problem is that the tool changer doesn't do any kind of backwards move even when I manage to get through the following errors.  This means it won't lock in place after a tool change.

It should move back when sent a position which is before its current one

And while I'm at it I may as well admit my ignorance as to how the toolchangers stepping speed is controlled?

It is an axis in the ini file, its speed is set there

You can get rid of axis_1 completely and take 'A' out of the
COORDINATES =              X Z A line
since it is not an A axis that MK needs to know anything about

here is the snip from the modified Xylotex.hal (I've named it Compact5.hal) that has what I think is all the required info, the toolchanger.comp is the one I compiled from Schooner (attached here earlier).  I'll attach them all for completeness. I did try changing a few values in the comp file but I'm pretty sure that they aren't an issue (delay time, odd and even_move values).

My fundamental failure is to understand the connections between toolchanger.comp, the Compact5.hal and the hal_pru_generic driver.  I'm thinking part of it is that the Xylotex.hal is using PID for the stepgen and that is messing my understanding of things.

Afraid I don't have a BBB etc so can't assist
This was written for a software stepgen operating on a parport

The easiest thing to do might be to have it as an A axis, connected as normal and move it around by MDI commands
Once you can do that and work out what the move increments between tools is, then disconnect the pos-cmd and position-fb and just
connect pos-cmd to the component and try it.

Again any help is appreciated.
Mike
--
website: http://www.machinekit.io blog: http://blog.machinekit.io github: https://github.com/machinekit