Well done Michael,

Just tested it and works fine on a DE0-NANO too.

If you have no objections I will add them to the images at http://deb.machinekit.io/uploads/de0-nano/

Notes for anyone looking to test.

Instructions are in the file readme-console-image.md
DO use bmaptool to write to SD card.  dd does not seem to cope too well, but bmap works fine.

I used the console image and once the ethaddr etc was set etc. just needed to log in;
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install machinekit-rt-preempt machinekit socfpga-rbf
and I was up and running the socfpga-stepper sim, easy as that!