Yes you can boot the images without setting the ethernet and hostname
variables(in u boot),
however things can get a bit messy on your network as the dhcp server will
issue a new ip address for each reboot/boot.

---

Sure for the console image (this is tested to work on both de0-nano-soc and
DE10 nano)

I just updated the readme for The Desktop
image(readme_hdmi-desktop_image.md)

I'm wondering if there is a way to circumvent having to add bash -c to the
linuxcnc.desktop file (does this work on a pc ?)

I am looking into adding the fpga-load u boot variables in an easier
fashion, so that the desktop image is just as easy to startup as the
console one.