> On Mar 7, 2018, at 11:25 AM, David Carriger <david.carri...@infusionsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I've seen cases where a legitimate
> domain name will expire and be converted to a spam trap within a week. Then
> the original domain owner will renew it before it goes back to the registry,
> and it will point back to its pre-expiry MX records.
>
> In the worst examples I've seen, the domain went from a legitimate mail
> server to a trap network in the same day, with no time for bounces in between.
>
> List cleaning can certainly be used by unscrupulous marketers, and I'm
> opposed to that use of it. On the other hand, what should we tell a good
> marketer who is sending to confirmed, engaged addresses that have converted
> into traps overnight?

Step 1: Is their mail bouncing / being marked as spam? No? Stop here.

Step 2: Is their mail bouncing / being marked as spam *because* you hit those
spamtraps? (It's common that people who hit spamtraps also have their mail
rejected, but that's correlation not causation) No? Stop here.

Step 3: Contact the reputation provider, ask politely "WTF, dudes and
dudettes?". It may be a cock-up; it usually is. If they acknowledge the issue,
stop here.

Step 4: Those aren't legitimate spam traps, the company operating them has
terrible data quality and they're probably not being widely used. Check *again*
whether the mail is bouncing because of this reputation data.

Step 5: Reach out to ISPs using the data and encourage them not to do so, or to
push back on the reputation provider to fix their processes.

Step 6: Public name + shame.

There are cases where unscrupulous spamtrap operators do Bad Things, but they
usually get found out and called out on their behaviour. And it's really rather
rare that it happens with reputation providers who are widely relevant to
delivery decisions.

Cheers,
  Steve