Thanks Laura and Chris for your replies, and sorry if I wasn't as precise in my
language as perhaps I should have been. I've been in the email business since
2005 and have been impressed with the general high experience level of the
posters on this list. I didn't think I needed to be as specific as I think you
wanted me to be -- especially because I was asking for guidance regarding an
optimal MTA IP "warm up" process, and just using my case as an example of what
happens when that process (if one exists) is not apparently followed.

1) So to be clear, none of my nor my customers' domains are on blocklists
presently (nor were they at the time ~2 months ago), nor were/are any of my
MTA's IPs on any public block lists.

2) The IP address of the new MTA we attempted to put into limited production
was placed on the internal block lists of Microsoft, Google and Mimecast (which
I resell) the same weekend we put that new MTA into limited production. Test
emails we had sent prior to the production weekend to those and other service
providers all sailed through OK. The outbound email we fed through the new MTA
that weekend was a simply portion of the normal outbound email we process
through our existing MTAs.  All of the email processed through our existing
MTAs that weekend was delivered successfully.

3) Microsoft's response was that this IP was not eligible for remediation.  I
presumed, since none of the bounce messages in the logs indicated anything
regarding email contents, nor anything related to the sending domains, that
this was due to the IP being "new".

So that was why I titled this thread "MTA Server IP "Warm Up" Reputation
Recommended Best Practices".

We have other IPs we can use if needed, so again, I am less concerned about
improving this IP's reputation than I am with not repeating this outcome.

No one has yet indicated a better process for warming up an IP than essentially
"send some email" -- that's not something we can do with our customers'
production email flows.  So if we need first to set up a separate domain or
two, and open a raft of Yahoo, Gmail and Outlook.com accounts as destinations
to create a reputation for an IP where we can afford to have these emails
blocked, and; then deal with any bounce messages etc., OK.  That process
seems... sub-optimal at best.

If anyone has a better process for warming up sending MTA IPs, I would be
grateful.

With best regards to all,
Mark
L. Mark Stone, Founder