> On 3 Sep 2020, at 20:02, L. Mark Stone via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks Laura and Chris for your replies, and sorry if I wasn't as precise in
> my language as perhaps I should have been. I've been in the email business
> since 2005 and have been impressed with the general high experience level of
> the posters on this list. I didn't think I needed to be as specific as I
> think you wanted me to be -- especially because I was asking for guidance
> regarding an optimal MTA IP "warm up" process, and just using my case as an
> example of what happens when that process (if one exists) is not apparently
> followed.
>
> 1) So to be clear, none of my nor my customers' domains are on blocklists
> presently (nor were they at the time ~2 months ago), nor were/are any of my
> MTA's IPs on any public block lists.
>
> 2) The IP address of the new MTA we attempted to put into limited production
> was placed on the internal block lists of Microsoft, Google and Mimecast
> (which I resell) the same weekend we put that new MTA into limited
> production. Test emails we had sent prior to the production weekend to those
> and other service providers all sailed through OK. The outbound email we fed
> through the new MTA that weekend was a simply portion of the normal outbound
> email we process through our existing MTAs.  All of the email processed
> through our existing MTAs that weekend was delivered successfully.
>
> 3) Microsoft's response was that this IP was not eligible for remediation.  I
> presumed, since none of the bounce messages in the logs indicated anything
> regarding email contents, nor anything related to the sending domains, that
> this was due to the IP being "new".

Having helped dozens, if not hundreds, of companies successfully warm up IP
addresses there is nothing that makes Microsoft outright block mail from new
IPs just for being new.

It’s your choice if you don’t want to share IPs, examples, domains or even the
bounce messages. But it makes it impossible to actually help you.

Microsoft doesn’t just block new IP addresses for being new.

laura

> So that was why I titled this thread "MTA Server IP "Warm Up" Reputation
> Recommended Best Practices".
>
> We have other IPs we can use if needed, so again, I am less concerned about
> improving this IP's reputation than I am with not repeating this outcome.
>
> No one has yet indicated a better process for warming up an IP than
> essentially "send some email" -- that's not something we can do with our
> customers' production email flows.  So if we need first to set up a separate
> domain or two, and open a raft of Yahoo, Gmail and Outlook.com accounts as
> destinations to create a reputation for an IP where we can afford to have
> these emails blocked, and; then deal with any bounce messages etc., OK.  That
> process seems... sub-optimal at best.
>
> If anyone has a better process for warming up sending MTA IPs, I would be
> grateful.
>
> With best regards to all,
> Mark
> L. Mark Stone, Founder
> Mission Critical Email LLC

Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741