Dnia 20.10.2022 o godz. 23:09:07 Grant Taylor via mailop pisze:

> I suspect that there are *MANY* Business-to-Business email servers that use
> similar filtering and only allow /specific/ previously white listed
> addresses to communicate.  That's the exact same thing that T-Online is
> doing.  The only difference is that T-Online has a more public user base.

And that's an important (I would even say: critical) difference.

If you run a private mailserver that is, by definition, meant to receive
mail only from particular senders with whom you have pre-agreed to do so,
it's ok.

If you run a public email service to which everyone can sign up, you can't
predict with whom your users will want to communicate, so have to accept
mail from everyone (except *proven* bad actors).

Otherwise you can't call yourself a *public* email service anymore.

Does T-Online clearly message to *their customers* when signing up that "Our
e-mail service is NOT a public email service. We accept email only from a
selected group of senders. You CANNOT use our e-mail service to communicate
with anyone on the Internet"?

If there is such a clear disclaimer from T-Online to *their users*, then
they are OK. You can say this is a very shitty service, but they are OK in
sense they are honest to their users.

If there is no such disclaimer, they are dishonest. They pose as a regular,
publicly available email service while in fact they are not.

> As stated above, there are many B2B email servers that only allow white
> listed peers.
>
> Do you also want to identify those B2B email servers and equally banish
> them?
>
> If not, why not?  Why do you think that T-Online deserves anything different
> than other B2B email servers?

From what I explained above, I think that the difference is pretty obvious
and anyone who wants to suggest that there is no difference (like you in
these statements), is intentionally spreading misinformation.

Some time ago my bank provided to customers e-mail accounts on the bank's
server, which were accessible via POP. These accounts were created for
receiving information from bank, for example current account statements
after each transaction (btw. they still provide this service, but over
regular email - the dedicated accounts don't exist anymore). They made it
clear that while these accounts MAY work as regular email accounts, the bank
doesn't guarantee that I will be able to communicate with anyone outside the
bank.

These accounts were for particular purpose - communicating with the bank -
and they made it clear, so I wouldn't even think of complaining that I can't
for example send email from this account to my personal account, or receive
email sent from there. In fact I didn't even try.

But as far as I understand, it is not the case with T-Online. They don't
state that this is a "restricted" account, for example only for
communicating with T-Online staff or other T-Online users. They pose as
regular email.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa