On Thu, 20 Oct 2022, Kai 'wusel' Siering via mailop wrote:

[...]

Basically "Max" states that he needed to put an "simple imprint" at http://his.do.main/index.html, which made t...@rx.t-online.de whitelist his mailserver's IP. Thus, even in December 2020 they were keen on this imprint thingy; why it didn't happen with you before, I cannot tell.

Fair enough. Maybe it was just luck..

[...]

Since t-online.de is the only "walled garden mail domain" known – at least AFAIK? –, any email to and especially from @t-online.de should be rejected in any default configuration of any MTA. This reflects the discussed fact that one has to register one's mailserver with t...@rx.t-online.de _before_ any mail exchange can happen. It's not a "form of defamation", as Grand Taylor stated, it's the only proper local configuration for the rather special setup used at t-online.de.

Our server, our rules -- that's valid too.

However, I still find that Postel's law should apply, in any context, and specifically in this one. You want to run an e-mail server and don't want to be blocked, so you should (liberally) accept, instead of "being like them" and block unfairly (for some definition of fairness anyway).

After all, this is what we (should) teach our kids, so I'm a bit surprised that some people are proposing (or have already implemented) doing the eye-for-an-eye (or was it a tooth?) to T-Online.

*We* can do better, and we should do better ;-)

Kind regards,
Bernardo

PS: I'm afraid that this topic might be uninteresting and/or annoying to those around here working for larger operators, who are (or should be) wholly unaffected by this, so I apologize for my contribution to the increased volume if this is the case..