Hi,

Kai 'wusel' Siering via mailop wrote on 21.10.22 at 18:28:

To stay ontopic here, the question is: _why_ were you getting "blocks left and right"? And what were they?

Was it a "fresh & clean" IPv4 address or one that had been abused in the past? What did the RBL checking tools tell you about that IP?

as I am just a small operator, my chance of getting a fresh and clean IPv4 address is rather low. Of course, I checked against known blocklists, asked for removal there, and that worked quite well. However, some operators are a bit more complicated, sometimes it's also hard to discover that you are blocked - e.g. with Telekom there is no RBL to query, you need to do this manually, but I made a similar experience with other operators.

Did the IP belong to an ISP that people that have to deal with remote abuse do wrinkle their nose at?

That's something hard for me to judge - I am quite happy with my provider, I don't know how the interaction with them is for others. But then, several providers have mixed reviews, from excellent to really bad, so probably that choice isn't so easy either.

And, most importantly: did you have to contact any postmaster to get that IPv4 address, with matching PTR and A records, proper SPF and DKIM entries, whitelisted to access their MXes at all?

Sometimes I did have to get even further to get unblocked, yes. And I know I'm not the only one with that problem when it comes to certain operators.

Postmasters are people, too. They as well don't want such a shit show. _They_ didn't do anything wrong to deserve that treatment.

I agree with that, but I'm still not convinced a default block will change anything on that. Having different points of view is fine, in the end it's not me deciding upstream changes anyways. ;-)

There is one known public mail service that blocks universally, not just arbitrarily. Given that, default MTA configuration should be "don't talk to them as the won't let you talk back". Saves peoples time and nerves, therefore a very pragmatic, and very practical solution.

If your customers *request* to talk to t-online.de users, you still can negotiate with tosa@rx and then reflect that in your MTA configuration.

If you are a mail operator here in Germany, the likelihood of someone writing to a t-online.de account is rather high. So it's just a matter of time, and then when it's an important message, this might add even further delay. Again, I'm not defending any policy here, I just try to be pragmatic for my users.

Well, mostly no-one using a @t-online.de mailbox knows about their provider's block-by-default policy. And no customer ever notices, as

I guess they would just not care. They "want it to work". The politics behind that doesn't matter to them, they rather go for a different mail operator, I guess. And I fear such blocks will just draw people even further into the hands of the big operators, where there are "no problems".

I doubt that it would take GMX more that one single mail to tosa@rx if they change IPs in their sending pool. Question is if they even would notify t-online.de upfront anyway. Would Google, Microsoft? "T what?" I actually expect that t-online.de proactively monitors known webpages or DNS records of the big players — what they do not want, are major tabloids doing headlines like "T-Online messes up it's mail service".

I guess that indeed amongst the big operators there are quite some specifics, that are much more of a challenge to the small operator.

Florian