When I first saw this issue this morning, my initial reaction was to agree that
perhaps a request for donations appearing within the application is
inappropriate but, on reconsideration, I've changed my mind.

Whenever I have been promoting the use of LO, the advantages of its open source
heritage are usually acknowledged but the fact that it can be downloaded and
installed without any financial outlay is almost always the deciding factor.
Once the "sale" is made, it is likely that many users don't really consider how
LO is developed while continuing to enjoy its benefits.

There is a big difference between displaying an unsolicited 3rd party ad in an
application, such as is common with phone apps, and a tasteful reminder of how
LO is funded and developed. In fact I would not even consider the latter to be
an ad at all.

The difference between an "informative reminder" and a "nagging ad" is probably
a combination of appropriate, considered wording and the way in which the
reminder appears - frequency, what part of LO usage, etc.

I have to admit I was staggered to learn that Thunderbird gets more funding
than LO. Perhaps looking closely as Thunderbird's funding methods could be
informative.

Nige