I am interested in them because of my general interest
in the philosophy of science and the broader implications:
culturally, socially and politically of differing
philosophies of science.  Concerning the Vienna Circle,
I am in agreement with George Reisch that because of
the peculiarities of the reception of logical empiricism
into the anglophone world, especially in the US, people
have generally failed to understand or appreciate
the broader concerns
of the Vienna Circle, so that it was generally
understood in the US as having been mainly about
modern logic and the philosophy of science, whereas
they in fact had much broader interests.  For
example, they had a close working relationship
with the Bauhaus.  That was partially because
the Vienna Circle member, Philipp Frank, had a brother,
Josef Frank, who was an architect and a teacher
at the Bauhaus, but it was also the case that
various members of the Circle, including Neurath
and Carnap would regularly give lectures at the
Bauhaus.  The Circle saw the kind of work being
pursued by the Bauhaus as being consistent with
their own work as philosophers and scientists.
Both the Bauhaus and the Circle were part of
the broader social democratic culture that
prevailed in Germany and Austria prior to the
rise of fascism.

Of the members of the Vienna Circle, Otto
Neurath was probably the one who was the most
concerned with pursuing these broader
implications of logical empiricism.
This no doubt was due to his experiences
of having been an economic planner for
the Austrian government during WW I,
his participation in the radical left
governments of Bavaria during the 1919
revolution, and his work for the Austrian
SPD and the trade union movement during
the 1920s and 1930s.

Jim F.
-- "rasherrs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Jim

Interesting!

You seem very familiar with the Vienna Circle. What was it that attracted
your interest in it?

Paddy Hackett