>>> Ralph Dumain

I would like to point out for the general purpose of such
discussions, I am not terribly impressed to show a favorable attitude
towards philosophies just because some of their proponents were
political progressive individuals.  This shows a rather provincial
approach to intellectual problems and their broader ideological
implications.

^^^^^^^
CB: This seems to me a very central question. I don't think political
questions are "provincial" relative to philosophy. The ultimate import
of philosophy is how it comes out in politics, pretty much.

The fundamental project in discovering things-in-themselves is to turn
them into things-for-us ( the human race).  This is the necessary unity
of the projects of science-philosophy and politics. I'm not interested
in philosophy and science that does not have this as its essential
purpose.

A concrete example of this is how modern physics was used to create
nuclear weapons. I used to say that this made Einstein out as a sort of
Sorcerer's Apprentice, releasing forces that he had no control over. But
maybe the scientist to put in this character is Madame Curie.