Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

For example, I don't see what's alarmist about
saying that the power vacuum in Afghanistan would lead to proxy warfare
by Iran, China, India and Pakistan and that a Taliban/ISI victory in its
own "backyard" would be devastating for the Afghanis, and it would
likely have horrible effects on the politics of Pakistan and the
political development of India's Muslims....And who is shedding
tears about the use of force against al Qaeda? Marxists? Really?

1) But they are not going after Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda is in Pakistan,
Yemen, Europe.The USA wants to secure Afghanistan for a natural gas
pipeline, and maintain bases there to keep an eye on China and Russia.
BTW, the troops are going into Helmand province. Is Al Qaeda in
Helmand? No, but heroin is. That's another lucrative pipeline. If the
strategy is to secure and cut off the Taliban's cash cow, that too
will fail. The Taliban have stockpiled 8,000 tons of heroin. I bet
that's more than the Karzai regime controls, not to mention the CIA.

2) Afghanistan already has a power vacuum, and has had one for quite
some time. Using your own logic, 30k troops simply is not enough. And
as the Escobar editorial indicates, according to US counterinsurgency
doctrine, you would need 10 to 20 times as many troops to fight an
effective counterinsurgency campaign there. The policy is doomed to
fail.  A real surge would insert 300k troops into the area, and since
we're broke, that ain't gonna happen.

3) BTW, a Taliban-- ISI victory? You need to prove the Taliban is
actually controlled by the ISI. To say this information is outdated is
an understatement. Of course the ISI is not arguing for a big victory
against the Taliban.  Because they know such an argument is not
serious. The US doesn't have the political will to obliterate the
Taliban, which is what it would take, argues the ISI, so better if
they work out a power-sharing agreement.  Besides, the current
Pakistani military offensive into southern Waziristan is already a
flop, because it was never a serious effort to begin with. It's all a
show for US dollars:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/6423710/Pakistan-armys-South-Waziristan-battle-fails-to-win-hearts-and-minds-of-tribesmen.html

Then there is this:

http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2009/09/29/the_view_from_pakistans_spies_97216.html

"The ISI leadership thinks the United States can't afford to lose in
Afghanistan, and it worries about a security vacuum there that would
endanger Pakistan. But at the same time, the ISI fears that a big
military surge, like the up to 40,000 additional troops McChrystal
wants, could be counterproductive.

ISI officials believe Washington should be realistic about its war
objectives. If victory is defined as obliteration of the Taliban, the
United States will never win. But the United States can achieve the
more limited aim of rough political stability, if it is patient.

In the ISI's view, America makes a mistake in thinking it must solve
every problem on its own. In Afghanistan, it should work with
President Hamid Karzai, who, for all his imperfections, has one
essential quality that American strategists lack -- he's an Afghan.
ISI officials suggest that Karzai should capitalize on the
post-election ferment by calling for a cease-fire so that he can form
a broadly based government that includes some Taliban representatives.

ISI officials say they want to help America with political
reconciliation in Afghanistan. But they argue that to achieve this
goal, the U.S. must change its posture -- moving from "ruler mode" to
"support mode" -- so that Afghan voices can be heard.

The American suspicion that the ISI is withholding information about
the Taliban, or is otherwise "hedging its bets," makes ISI leaders
visibly angry. Pakistanis have the most to lose from a Taliban victory
in Kabul, they argue, because it would inevitably strengthen the
Taliban in Pakistan, too. A Pakistani version of Mohammad Omar is
anathema to them, the ISI leaders say.

As for American allegations that the ISI maintains direct links with
Siraj Haqqani, a key ally of the Taliban, the ISI officials insist it
isn't so. They do have a network of agents within the insurgent groups
and tribes, but that's part of a spy agency's job. America's suspicion
that Pakistan secretly pulls the Taliban's strings is many years out
of date, they contend.

One ISI analyst loudly calls my name at the end of a briefing and then
recites a summary of Pakistani casualties since Sept. 11, 2001, from
terrorism. The list totals 5,362 dead and 10,483 wounded. "Trust us,"
says another ISI official, referring to this casualty toll. "Do not
interfere in a way that infringes on our sovereignty and makes us look
bad in the eyes of the public."

Talking with ISI leaders, I am reminded of something you see around
the world these days. People want to help America more than we
sometimes think. But they want to be treated with respect -- as full
partners, not as useful CIA assets.

Trust is always a conditional word when you are talking about
intelligence activities, which are built around deception. But in this
case, where America and Pakistan share common interests, the
opportunities are real."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/06/feingold-why-surge-where_n_381729.html

One of the fiercest critics of the proposed surge of U.S. forces in
Afghanistan warned on Sunday that the policy would distract America
from the pursuit of global al Qaeda networks.

During an appearance on ABC's "This Week" with George Stephanopoulos,
Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wisc.) demanded that one question be answered
when considering the implementation of the president's surge policy:
Why send troops where al Qaeda isn't?

    Pakistan, in the border region near Afghanistan, is perhaps the
epicenter [of global terrorism], although al Qaida is operating all
over the world, in Yemen, in Somalia, in northern Africa, affiliates
in Southeast Asia. Why would we build up 100,000 or more troops in
parts of Afghanistan included that are not even near the border? You
know, this buildup is in Helmand Province. That's not next door to
Waziristan. So I'm wondering, what exactly is this strategy, given the
fact that we have seen that there is a minimal presence of Al Qaida in
Afghanistan, but a significant presence in Pakistan? It just defies
common sense that a huge boots on the ground presence in a place where
these people are not is the right strategy. It doesn't make any sense
to me.

The remarks by Feingold echoed earlier skepticism of an extended U.S.
surge in Afghanistan offered by Vice President Joseph Biden, weeks
before the policy was announced. And, as if to drive the point home
further, they were delivered on the same morning that The Los Angeles
Times published a story with a Sana, Yemen dateline, reporting that
the growing al Qaeda presence within the country may end up toppling
the government.

"Al Qaeda in the past focused on bombings and suicide attacks, but now
it is also able to target security forces," said Saeed Ali O. Jemhi,
an expert on terrorist groups in Yemen. "They have sympathizers and
agents within the Yemeni security and intelligence forces. Al Qaeda is
in a renewing stage, and its aim is to spread an Islamic caliphate
across the Arabian Peninsula."

Feingold's concerns weren't merely that President Obama was taking his
eye off al Qaeda at a time when the terrorist organization was
resurgent. The Wisconsin Democrat also warned that U.S. policy in
Afghanistan could actually push terrorists and extremists into
Pakistan and, as a consequence, further destabilize the region.

"You know, I asked the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral
Mullen, and Mr. Holbrooke, our envoy over there, a while ago, you
know, is there a risk that if we build up troops in Afghanistan, that
will push more extremists into Pakistan?" he told ABC. "They couldn't
deny it, and this week, Prime Minister Gilani of Pakistan specifically
said that his concern about the buildup is that it will drive more
extremists into Pakistan, so I think it's just the opposite, that this
boots-on-the-ground approach alienates the Afghan population and
specifically encourages the Taliban to further coalesce with Al Qaida,
which is the complete opposite of our national security interest."

This seems to mirror the ISI argument against the pseudo-surge.

Greg