In a further bid to undermine his credibility, sartesian challenges me
because he just can't believe the poor old Taliban have been taken the
lives of 70% of the innocent casualities this year; I'll let Ron J tell
him where my data come from.

Greg's message is interesting, but so much is not Afghanistan an
imperial interest that Bush and Rumsfeld abandoned it for the open-ended
occupation of Iraq, encouraging Karzai to shore up his rule with the
support of war lords.  The US may have driven some of the Taliban back
over a line that  they don't  recognize but  they remain thought of as
an asset by the ISI.   Having allowed the  Taliban and al-Qaeda to
regroup, Bush then made a desperate attempt to bomb them out of
existence in accordance with his own political time line, meanwhile
putting no pressure on Pakistan to develop regional development programs
and making no attempt to split the Taliban in Afghanistan so that
legitimate Pashtun claims could be recognized. His desperate and
militaristic strategy backfired, the Taliban became radicalized and
strengthened and carried out more terrorist attacks, rocking the very
foundations of Pakistani civil society, until Pakistani opinion shifted
to supporting military actions against them even as that created a
refugee crisis.

You may think that all this is unknown to Obama and Ahmed Rashid. It's
not. Even critics such as Chomsky rely on Ahmed Rashid and Barnett
Rubin.  It may well be that Obama has asked for more troops to decrease
the reliance on military tactics that have cost the lives of so many
civilians. Still I think the structural impediments on NATO and domestic
contstraints on Obama are too great for NATO intervention not to
backfire. Bhikhu Parekh has written perceptively of the limits of
humanitarian intervention while recognizing that they should not be
ruled out tout court.

Rakesh