On Tuesday 20 March 2007 3:50:07 am Eric Firing wrote:
> John Hunter wrote:
> > If you are using mpl svn, please read this as it describes
> > some fairly major changes.
> >
> > Mike Lusignan has been working on adding units support, and as a
> > consequence, partial support for working with arbitrary types in mpl.
> > The support is not complete yet, but it is basically working and
> > compatible with the rest of mpl, so I thought now would be a good time
> > to integrate it into the svn HEAD (he's been working in a branch)
> > and get some more eyeballs on it.
>
> John,
>
> You accidentally whacked out the new Axes.matshow, so I put it back.
>
> I also noticed a few decorators--gasp!--in axes.py.  I presume you will
> want them replaced by old-style syntax to preserve 2.3 compatibility,
> but I will leave that to you.  (After about the 10th or so time of
> reading a bit about decorators, I think I understand them enough for
> simple use cases; apart from that ugly and utterly unpythonic @ symbol,
> maybe they are not as bad as I thought.)
>
> The curmudgeon in me has to wonder whether the snazzy unit support is
> really a good thing; this is partly a question of where the boundary of
> a plotting library should be.  The simpler view (classic mpl) is that
> the role of mpl is to do a good job plotting numbers and labeling
> things, and the role of the user or application programmer is to supply
> the numbers and labels.  I am not sure that enough is gained by enabling
> unit conversion and automatic axis labeling inside a plot command to
> compensate for the added complexity.  My hesitation probably reflects
> the facts  (1) that I don't see any *compelling* use cases in the sort
> of work I do, (2) I am not familiar with whatever use cases motivated
> this, (3) I haven't thought about it much yet, and (4) I may be a bit
> unimaginative.

My first impression is similar to Eric's. I don't know if there is a robust
units package for python, but I imagine it should be a part of scipy. I think
it would be better to get an array and if you wanted to plot it in different
units, you call a method on the array at plot time. Maybe I dont understand
all the intended uses.

Darren

--
Darren S. Dale, Ph.D.