On 3/20/07, Norbert Nemec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree, though, that the units package itself should not be part of
> matplotlib. But this is exactly
> how I understand the idea by John Hunter: describe an interface to allow
> the use of any third-party
> unit package.

That's exactly right -- we are not providing a units package and have
no intention of providing one.  What this implementation is providing
is an interface that one can use with any units package, either a
publicly released one or a home grown one.  Whether the interface is
robust enough to handle real world package remains to be seen with
further use and testing -- this is a first cut at it.

The basic_units package in examples/units was developed for
prototyping and testing, and was not meant to be the foundation of a
real units package.  matplotlib.units.UnitConverter describes the
basic interface a unit converter class must expose.

> Of course, the whole thing only makes sense is there is a units package
> that is fit for production use.

Well, one can still use it to support home grown units, even if they
aren't production ready.  And as the example date_converter.py shows,
the same framework works well for plotting custom types even if unit
conversion is not needed.

I think your suggestion of supporting default axis labels is also a
good one -- the current implementation supports tick labeling an
formatting and axis labeling is a natural target for unit handling
also.

JDH