Actually, I like the idea of unit support quite a bit and could well
imagine that it makes sense
to support it explicitely in matplotlib.

I am using physical units very frequently in my computations. Lacking a
robust units package,
I simply define the units as numerical constants without checks but at
least with comfortable
conversion. If there were a good units package, support in matplotlib
would mean that the axis
labels could automatically be completed with appropriate units without
need for explicit conversion.

I agree, though, that the units package itself should not be part of
matplotlib. But this is exactly
how I understand the idea by John Hunter: describe an interface to allow
the use of any third-party
unit package.

Of course, the whole thing only makes sense is there is a units package
that is fit for production use.