On 3/21/07, John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Fernando Perez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > And yes, properties are actually OK even with 2.2, so there's no
> > reason to avoid them (and they do provide a nicer, claner user API).
> > Decorators are 2.4-only though.
>
> I'm not opposed to properties in principle -- I just didn't want to
> start incorporating  them by happenstance.  We have the long running
> unresolved issue of whether to use traits or properties, so I scrubbed
> the properties as a foolish consitency, to stick to one design
> approach until we have made a formal decision on how we want to
> approach this, and then port mpl properties en masse.

I wasn't really voting for properties or traits, that decision is
ultimately your call.  They both provide similar user-visible benefits
(traits having more open-ended possibilities, of course).

> But I think it would be a good idea to go ahead and derive Artist from
> object to make sure this doesn't cause any troubles, and likewise for
> the other top level classes, eg FigureCanvasBase and friends.

Yes.  I fail to understand why the python VM doesn't raise an
exception of some kind when property() is called on an old-style
class.  It won't work anyway, so why the hell does it fail silently???
 I'm sure Eric and I are not the only people to have wasted time on
that particular trap.

Cheers,