FYI The unit system John is working on will be a huge improvement for
the way we use MPL.  Our users do a ton of plotting that involves
unitized numbers vs time.  We have our own unit class and time class
and right now users have to convert the unitized numbers into floats
in the correct units and convert the times to the correct MPL format
in the correct reference frame.  Being able to seamlessly pass these
objects to MPL is going to make all of our plotting scripts much
simpler to use, easier to understand, and much safer (by eliminating
different unit/time frame problems).

It's not a big deal to convert values when the plot is first created
- where it makes the biggest difference is when you want to
manipulate the plot after it's created (xlim for example).  Being
able to pass unitized numbers to the various manipulation methods is
what makes everything much easier to use (especially when dates are
being plotted).

Ted