> And I've gotten the units.py module down to a digestable 105 lines of
> code!
You must have done more work after writing your message--now wc reports
only 87 lines!

Thanks for all the explanations (I am gradually coming around...) and
additional work.

Minor points from a quick look at axes.py: a line in spy() got
regressed, so I restored it (svn rev 3114); and **kwargs got added to
the signatures of set_xlim and set_ylim, but they are not being
used--all valid kwargs are explicit.  I left this alone because maybe
you are planning to pass kwargs through later.

> See if you find the new interface less onerous.  There is still work
> to do if we want to support this kind of thing -- one of the hard
> parts is to modify the various plotting functions to try and get the
> original data into the primitive objects, which the current approach
> is building around.

Looks promising.  I see the problem, as in the example you pointed out
with plotting multiple columns, but I don't have any suggestions yet.

> I've also gotten rid of all the decorators and properties.  The code
> is not python2.3 compatible.

Properties would be OK for 2.3; I was thinking we might want to use
them.  When a getter and setter already exist, all it takes is the one
extra line of code, plus a suitable (unused) name for the property.  I
decided not to pursue traits (if at all) until we can use the Enthought
package as-is.  But I think that properties could be converted to traits
very easily if we wanted to do that in the future, so starting with
properties would not be wasted effort.  This is getting a bit off-topic,
though.

Aha! Now I see that lines.py still has a few properties but they are
private.

Eric