here in Calif., prices are all over the map,... you can find clapped out Kaleb Specials (no offense intended, Kaleb!) all day, but anything actually in good condition is probably going to cost you. i'm most familiar with W123 diesels (since that's what i have and watch). a strange thing has happened here with them; the Veggie-hippies managed to destroy enough of them while under the delusion that you could pour anything that vaguely resembled oil in the tank and it would run, that some junkyards won't even take them anymore unless you deliver them to their front gate at your expense and then sign them over. of course, this means that those that run are more rare, and good ones in nice shape are worth even more now.

i spent many months several years ago looking for a turbo 300D that was in good enough shape for my family; i wanted something that had been taken care of properly and didn't have any dings, scratches, rips, stains or tears. in spite of a dedicated search, i couldn't find anything worth that met that simple standard within several hundred miles of the Bay Area, and it seems like they've only become more rare since. i finally found a good low-mileage (~120K) example in Los(t) Angeles that i paid a few thousand for and put a little into it to clean it up, and could now sell it for a good deal more than i've got into it even though i've almost doubled the mileage on it. (oddly enough, it's our oldest car, but still the lowest mileage.)

the 280 4.5s and 6.9s are still seen around here, but are most typically seen parked, and in poor condition. they must be fantastic cars if in good trim, but from what (little) i hear, they seem to have a reputation for being expensive and troublesome to keep.

cheers!