I think a lot of this has to do with the market, that is, the buyers.  Consider
the age of these cars (W108, W111) and you can understand that the people who
would show an interest are up there in years (maybe 40-50 or older) and are not
looking for "fixer-uppers" or weekend drivers - especially if they are not in
decent shape.

Younger people don't know what these cars are, and subsequently, shy away from
them when looking for cheap or even reasonably prices transportation.

Granted, you'll always have that outlier who is interested because of the
uniqueness of the vehicle, but the average Joe has no clue whatsoever when it
comes to taking care of or repairing one of these cars.  As a result they have
marginal value in the "Craigslist" world when it comes to used cars.  They are
just another commodity.

I have a long-time affinity for the finnies, and would love to have another
some day.  Considering the reality of age and numbers, the possibility that
this will happen is pretty slim.

At least that's my take on it.

Dan