On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM, David Bruckmann
<bruckma...@transcontinental.ca> wrote:
> So you mean my perfectly rust-free, mostly-original-paint 280SEL 4.5 might be
> worth something?!
>
> The market in California is clearly different than everywhere else.

Same for western Oregon and Washington.  I'm convinced this is due to
just two simple factors: the relative popularity of foreign cars
(which have long outsold domestics in the urban areas of the West
Coast) and the fact that the roads are almost never salted in the
winter.  European and Japanese cars from the '70s, '80s, and '90s are
an unremarkable sight and daily transport for lots of people in the
Portland area, for example, but in the rest of the country they're
rare collectibles, as far as I can tell.  I've been to the Midwest
only a few times but the last time I was there (in Iowa looking at
grad schools---hi, Wonko!) I counted fewer than 10 European cars in
three days in a college town (Iowa City), and only one of them was
more than 10 years old (a very sad VW bug).

Alex