Andrew,

will find much information and disinformation on the topic of BioD here and elsewhere. (for example, the horror stories you hear about BioD eating fuel lines; i've got over 70,000 miles on almost exclusively straight BioD on the same fuel lines that were in my '85 300D when i started using BioD over 7 years ago, and there still hasn't been any evidence of any need to change them. all you need to do if you're using quality fuel is watch them like you'd watch any other fuel lines from a previous decade, and change them out when they show signs of needing it.)

as for availability of source oil, it's unlikely that anyone outside of your area will be able to tell you what the actual availability is in your area, and even then it'll vary from restaurant to restaurant. (generally, cleaner/less used WVO is better; sushi joints usually have cleaner and less overused oil than burger joints.)

bottom line, if it's only cost effectiveness you're looking for you have to figure out if it's even worth it to you to go through the hassles of making BioD. even if the source oil is free and your time is worth nothing, how much would you need to use before the savings would pay for the equipment and the energy to run it? if you're only using ~10G/wk, it'd be over a year before you even paid for the equipment, and we're still not counting the cost of any of the chemicals. (i'm not even going to get into the byproduct waste disposal issue or the concerns about having some of those chemicals around, or the mess,... and am ignoring the fear-mongering about jackbooted thugs hired by renderers or our guvernment coming through your doors due to perceived tax and various regulatory issues. but if you check into it, you might find we can't even legally haul WVO without a renderers license and liability coverage!)

if you're trying to use BioD for other reasons (like reducing petroleum dependency, environmental concerns, or just the joy of experimental hobbying,) your calculations of whether it's worth the fuss might be different. in that case, i'd probably encourage searching our your local B99 vendor and buying commercially produced stuff, and let someone else deal with all the issues.

cheers!