Interesting analogy.  How much can you buy a used OM617 injection pump for?
I see running parts cars for $500-$1500.  I paid $1100 for my 83 300d(you
should see it.....Mann filters, Conti belts, MBZ fluids always, clean as a
whistle under the hood.......).  At the current $4.15 per gallon if I run
nothing but wvo it will take a bit over 200 gallons to pay for the car in
full.  200 gallons @ 25mpg or so = 5000 miles.  That doesn't take long.

Mike
On Jul 15, 2011 6:17 PM, "Walt Zarnoch" <zarnoch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fuel viscosity is different, pump takes more HP to do it's job, more
> mechanical stress... WVO is good if you get the viscosity under control,
> filter it, dry it, biocide it, etc.
>
> It works, but in the same way that using 1's for TP works...
>
> Walt
> On Jul 15, 2011 5:58 PM, "Michael Canfield" <slozuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Look at it this way.....screw up once filtering oil and replace filters.
>> Screw up once making BD and die or risk pump failure.
>>
>> Your choice.
>>
>> Mike
>> On Jul 15, 2011 5:50 PM, "Dimitri Seretakis" <dsereta...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>>> Too much modification will devalue the car. BD is easier.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Jul 15, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Michael Canfield <slozuk...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> To heck with making biodiesel! Convert your car to run wvo, filter it
> very
>>> well and make sure it has no suspended water. Anyone that tells you it
>>> won't work right is full of it. Been doing it for years and have yet to
>>> have a veggie oil related failure. Clean, clean, clean oil is the secret
>>> success. Gravity is your friend, let the oil settle and only filter from
>>> the top.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>> On Jul 15, 2011 2:00 PM, "andrew strasfogel" <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> We own three W123 turbodiesels so this is very tempting. Cost is about
>>> $1700 + $450 more for the "dry washing" feature. We have lots of
>>> restaurants that probably would be happy to get rid of their fryer
>>> grease; the main snag might be the cost and ease of obtaining NAOH
>>> (caustic
>>> soda). I also wonder how much lye and water is consumed per batch, and