You're not the only one in the rant-zone. That's what delete is for - for those irritated by it. I think it's a very relevant topic. We spend a large part of our lives on the road. And I for one have a very hard time ignoring piss-poor behavior when I see it. I wish I could ignore it.

It used to be, in my mind at least, that truckers and motorcycle riders are the best-trained, most ethical drivers on the road (save cyclists who are into speed, or otherwise hot-doggin'). I know I became obsessed with safe driving when I started riding. Many of us know of the unwritten rules of the road which are based on respect for your fellow driver. But I have witnessed more instances of truckers trying to intimidate with their size - tailgating, you name it. This primal behavior is bereft of any actual thought. What would the end result of this intimidation be if carried to fruition? Again, this is not thought through. I think the addition of a little thinking (yes, I said it) to the act of driving would save tons of problems (not to mention energy).

While I can't say they're necessarily doing anything wrong, it sucks to get thrown into a white-out situation when there's fresh powder on the road and a semi passes you. If two pass, you're in real trouble. You pretty much are forced to come to a crawl, and if it goes on for enough consecutive seconds, you are essentially forced to stop. Of course stopping is a stupid thing to do. And you don't want to put on your blinkers, because those behind you will think you're pulled off on the shoulder. No good solution here. And yes, I too hate it when I'm doing about as fast as icy or shushy conditions allow, and a semi blows by because they are more stable. Again, can I say they're specifically doing anything wrong? Not sure. I am sure that poor driving habits, driven by selfishness and laziness, is the foundation of most of the problems on the road.

Brian

From: "Tom Scordato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240 vs SD Go Trucks
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 07:06:02 -0500

Bill R said
"almost blown off the road by an 18 wheeler. About as scared as I ever got"

Spout off time...The trucking industry is out of control.  The worse the
weather the faster they go.  Route 80 which is a big interstate (NY to San
Fran) is closed almost weekly in PA  now due to accidents  which involve
trucks.  Basically a free for all.  I read US traffic from trucks has
increased 100% in the last 10 years. I have tried to talk to some of these
garage haulers.  Some of these guys/gals are traveling 600 to 700 miles a
day, 6 to 7 days a week (PA has become the dump for NY and NJ, basically a
milk run no wonder they are maniacs, familiarity breeds contempt) and they
drive those things like Porsches. Big difference in rig weighing 100,000lbs doing 80 mph and my 240D at less than two tons doing 70 mph. Something will
need to be done about this nightmare...satellite tracking of each truck to
measure/report speed is one answer, but how do you  do you handle the three
inches from your but stuff?  Maybe separate roads?  Only one good trucking
outfit which drives correctly that I see, JB Hunt and they have become the
brunt of all the other truckers jokes.  I guess the other folks think they
are wimpy because they drive safe.  Unless a highway merge is taking place,
they should all just stay in the right lane, trains could not pass, why do
they think they should. (truck doing 25 mph passing the one doing 15 mph up
a steep incline/two lane interstate oooofaaaa) We need a good diesel sky
car...do a search on the Mollier sky car, it may be sooner than we think!
Sorry fo spouting off

Regards Tom Scordato
Bellefonte PA
77 300D