> Craig wrote:
>
> I have just installed Windows 7 Home Premium

I know very little 'bout Win7

> 3. What are XPS documents?
>
>    I want to be able to print to postscript so I can
> transfer the postscript (with all the fonts) to my Linux
> system to make new PDFs to replace ones which were made on
> a Windows system without all fonts embedded (which are hard
> to read on Linux). Is that at all related?

When I must use MSWin, I use PDFCreator to "print" PDF
files.  I believe it is based on Ghostscript - and although I
haven't tested it extensively, it seems to embed the fonts.
GPL licensed.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

> 4. Installing Windows 7, of course, over-wrote my GRUB boot
> sector information.

GRUB or GRUB2?  They are quite different.

> I have a procedure to fix the boot
> system of our main computer, which is single-boot and
> has /boot as /dev/sda1:
>
>             1. Boot SystemRescue CD.
>             2. Execute "startx"
>             3. At a terminal prompt, type, "grub <enter>".

Kinda redundant to "startx" from a terminal just to open an
xterm, isn't it?  *smiles*

>             4. Type, "root (hd0,0)".
>             5. Type, "setup (hd0)".
>             6. Type, "quit".
>             7. Reboot.

That looks like GRUB legacy.

>    Since the laptop has
>
>         First partition  - Windows 7
>         Second partition - another NTFS partition
>         Third partition  - /boot,
>
>    should I change line 4 above to: Type, "root (hd0,2)" ?

Maybe.  I tried to migrate a physical Win7 to a virtual
machine and this dual partition thwarted me and I failed.  On
mine, the first partition was very small and was the Win7
boot.  The second partition was the "real" Win location.

>From my experience, Win7 is ornery about booting so I'm
reluctant to advise "Just try it".  But the "root" command
looks correct for legacy GRUB.

However, I gave up on dual boot a long time ago.  MS Win is
now always in a virtual machine (VirtualBox most recently).
So long as there is enough RAM, it works just fine

> 6. Anything else I should know?

I sure like having my MSWin as a guest OS.  It means I don't
have to have as much software installed in MSWin because both
the guest and the host are running.  And I set up the
networking so the guest can't reach the internet.  And it's
easy to make a backup of the guest - or migrate to another
host.  Oh, and I can copy/paste between the guest and the
host.  The only disadvantage I've found is the need for RAM.

I have an laptop that shipped with WinXP, that I put the
maximum of 1G RAM and it was quite usable running a OpenBox
on the host and WinXP on the guest.  Not peppy, but usable.

-- Philip