The chain on this is a roller drive-type chain.  Think
bicycle or motorcycle - but _big_.  It is only slightly
rusty.  At one end of the chain I use ATF and some movement
and got the chain flexing well.  My objective is to get oil
into the joints so they will move - probably will require
some elbow grease.

I have disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated the drive unit
and the block.  Once the chain is flexing well it should be
fully operational.  I don't know what I'm going to do with
the monster then.

It's a Yale PC series roller chain lever hoist.  The roller
chain is not very flexible side-to-side, but super strong and
long lasting.  Though it's rated for 6000 lb [2700 kg], it
sure looks like it could lift triple that.

The pictures are crummy, but kinda mine looks kinda like this listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yale-3-4-ton-Pul-Lift-Lever-Hoist-PL46C-5-ft-chain-/371386811879

You can use it to pull engines under a tree limb or under a truss in your "steel shed" or under an A frame you built.