About 2005, when scrap prices were really high, there were a number of
folks here who would slide under cars in parking lots [ie WalMart] and use
battery sawzalls to cut cats out of as many cars as they could, then run
them to the scrap buyers to support their drug habit.

This happened so much that the cops put a serious hurt on scrap dealers who
were found buying them and put regs in place to curb such activity..

Seems to have worked.. haven't heard of it happening lately..