All of this timing chain stuff has got me a wonderin' if I've got my own PO botched timing chain installation job on my hands with the '73 220D. How do I know if it's a new chain without any receipts? Also, what's the backwards trick supposed to reveal? All I know is that I can turn the cam clockwise by hand a bit and tighten the chain without moving the crank. I'm going to do the valve cover groove check too.

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon
1973 220D parting out unless I'm lucky enough to get it fixed which may actually be possible!