The 'refineries' have ability to make one compound out of another that they didn't have 100 years ago, IIRC it's mostly cracking the heavy stuff down into gasoline fractions.

To answer your question, I believe the jet fuel used to go into kerosene lamps and heaters.
Mitch.

On 2022-01-06 16:13, Allan Streib via Mercedes wrote:
That breakdown of a barrel of oil is interesting. So how did we arrive
at that perfect balance of what oil provides and what we do with it?
Did we develop technology to use the oil products available, or did we
develop refining techniques to produce the refined product the market
wanted?

For example, before jet airplanes, where did the 10% Jet A component go?