There are other ways to do these things too.
One of the ladies that my wife worked with for years had a recently built house that used passive heat sources. It was super insulated and faced south. The windows were almost all in the south wall and those were large. It had clerestory windows that faced into a balcony on the 2nd floor and dark coloured ceramic tile on all of the floors in the main living area and upper hallway. The sun through the windows warmed the floors which gave off heat in the night. Many years, she had not turned on the heat at Christmas time and her annual electric bills were minimal. This house was built probably 20 to 25 years ago so technology has not doubt advanced since then.

If you have enough land, you can do geothermal with trenches and horizontal piping. My aunt and uncle in NW Ontario (Dryden) had that system for years and it worked well. If you live on a rural acreage with a pond, you can run the piping in the pond.

If you don't have much land, it is more problematic. We looked into it for our house in Winnipeg and we don't have enough land unless we had them drill deep and use fewer holes. That becomes more expensive as drilling deeper would require drilling into rock. It wouldn't be worthwhile for us. We got a new efficient furnace and our costs were halved from what we were paying for natural gas with our furnace from the 80's.

Randy