Hi Jaqueline,

Klaus Major wrote:

I only got one response to my important question, thanks Hugh.
Could you please check this and give a short notice?

Verified. If there is a matching command in the MC Menubar, that one executes instead of the one in the script editor. Shortcuts that have no matches in the MC Menubar still work (for example, return key to step over, and Cmd-I to step into.)

I need to know for the next release of the MC IDE and act accordingly if necessary. Maybe I will add some buttons and/or change the shortcuts or any other workaround
if there is any.

If the script editor's menu group is set as the menubar of the stack, then it should work. Right now there is no menubar set for the "script editor" stack at all. In fact, when I look at the objects in the Script Editor stack, there isn't even a menu group. There are only a bunch of ungrouped buttons. I think you need to group those buttons, give it a name, and set the Script Editor to use that group as a menu group. Then everything should work.

The problem with using a menu group is that if you DO want to execute commands from the MC main menu, they won't receive any messages if the script editor menu is trapping the keystrokes. That may be why Scott Raney didn't use a menu group, but trapped keystrokes in a commandKey handler instead.

There is an existing commandkey handler in the editor field which you could add to. Of course, this would only trap keystrokes that were sent to the main script field -- but I think most of the time that's good enough. So maybe that's the way to go.

Thank your for the hints, will check this.
Another surprise in MetaCard with a new engine ;-)

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major