On 2019-11-15 20:47, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
Jan Betlach wrote:

[snip]

2. A HP P222 array controller works right out of the box on
OpenBSD, maybe FreeBSD as well but the combination of ZFS and RAID
controller seems weird to me.

FreeBSD has a better support for HWRaid cards than OpenBSD. I am talking
about serious HWRaid cards like former LSI Controllers. Only Areca used
to fully support OpenBSD. Also FreeBSD UFS journaling is more advanced
than OpenBSD journaling.

OpenBSD's UFS doesn't do any journalling.

[snip]

3. OpenBSD is actually out of my expectation. CIFS and NFS is just
easy to setup. The most fabulous thing to me is the full disk
encryption. I had a disk failure and the array controller was burnt
once because I had some cooling issue. However, I was confident to get
a replacement and no data was lost.

OpenBSD NFS server implementation is slow comparing to others but for
home users YMMV.
I was able to get Gigabit line rate from an OpenBSD NAS to CentOS clients no problem. The OpenBSD NFS client is admittedly somewhat slow-- I was only able to get ~70MB/s out of it when connected to the same NAS that gets 100MBps+ from Linux based NFS clients.

Code:
# bioctl sd4
Volume      Status               Size Device
softraid0 0 Online      2000396018176 sd4     RAID1
           0 Online      2000396018176 0:0.0   noencl <sd0a>
           1 Online      2000396018176 0:1.0   noencl <sd1a>

is very crude. It took me 4 days to rebuild 1TB mirror after accidental
power off one HDD. That is just not something usable for a storage
purpose in real life.

I have an OpenBSD NAS at home with 20TB of RAID1 storage comprised of 10 4TB drives. Last time I had to rebuild one of the arrays, it took just under 24 hours to rebuild. This was some months ago, but I remember doing the math and I was getting just under 50MB/s rebuild speed. This was on a fairly ancient Xeon rig using WD Red NAS drives. If it took your machine 4 days to rebuild a 1TB mirror, something must be wrong, possibly hardware related as that's less than 4MB/s rebuild speed.

At work where I have to store petabytes of data I use only ZFS. At home
that is another story.

For the record BTRFS is a vaporware and I would never store the pictures
of my kids to that crap.

Cheers,
Predrag

Cheers,