Hi,

thank you all for comments.

I am restoring backup to my new OpenBSD based home NAS as of writing this.

Why I have decided to go this route and not with other option like ZFS:
- FFS seems to be reliable and stable enough for my purpose. ZFS is too complicated and bloated (of course it has its advantages), however major factor for me has been that it is not possible to encrypt ZFS natively on FreeBSD as of now. I am also more comfortable with Open BSD than with Free BSD. I did not want to go with Linux at all. - I have installed Open BSD on an external unencrypted USB stick. So that I don’t need to have access to the box in case of restart. Main data NAS disk is 2TB internal one in the box (Zotac nano), which is encrypted. I can easily mount it via SSH in case of restart. Backups are automated via rsync to the encrypted external hardware RAID disks. Using DUIDs for all drives.
- I do keep offsite backup as well.

I have tested this setup in the last couple of days before going all in. So far so good. Performance is plenty acceptable for my usage. Mounting the NAS storage via SSHFS on client machines (Macs and OpenBSDs) works flawlessly and speed is also OK.

Thanks again

Jan