Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 11:54:47AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
Richard, your pants are full of hypocritical poo.

You too.

I still remember cheering when I read

http://monkey.org/openbsd/archive/ports/0108/msg00460.html

    * From: Theo de Raadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    * Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:11:00 -0600
    * Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    > I am just curious - why exactly were all the DJB ports dropped?

    Precisely because of what the commit message says:

    > "Removed qmail; license does not permit modification [camield
    > 2001-08-14]"

Sadly you're too quick to launch the 'hypocrit' word...

http://www.openbsd.org/4.2_packages/i386/zangband-2.6.2p1.tgz-long.html

According to Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zangband
License: Other/Proprietary License

Its was not a question of the license being proprietary, it was a question of qmail not allowing modification. To get it running on OpenBSD required modification - so it was removed from ports.

The qmail licence was quite clear:

"If you want to distribute modified versions of qmail (including ports, no matter how minor the changes are) you'll have to get my approval. This does not mean approval of your distribution method, your intentions, your e-mail address, your haircut, or any other irrelevant information. It means a detailed review of the exact package that you want to distribute."

If every port required 'a detailed review of the exact package that you want to distribute' from maintainers then we would have far less ports. We'd have far less maintainers! Theo made the right decision not to tolerate it. To do anything else would open the floodgates of maintainer hell.

Now that qmail is moving to the public domain I wouldn't be surprised if it re-enters the ports system since it will no longer contain this restriction. Of course, it will require someone willing to maintain the port.

The zangband licence, on the other hand, reads:

/*
* Copyright (c) 1989 James E. Wilson, Christopher J. Stuart
*
* This software may be copied and distributed for educational, research, and
* not for profit purposes provided that this copyright and statement are
* included in all such copies.
*/

There is no explicit requirement to obtain the author's approval before distributing a modified version. Since OpenBSD doesn't have to go out of its way to please the original creator with unreasonable demands zangband has been kept in ports.

You are wrong. It does not matter how sincerely you present your misinformation, it still marks you as lazy, apathetic, and willing to make statements without first understanding the situation or researching your ideas.

If you don't like Theo because he doesn't handle you or others with kid gloves, then just say so. Just say "I don't like Theo because he hurts my feelings" and be done with it. Stop trying to make ridiculous arguments based on misinformation. One thing I can almost guarantee - Theo will be far more pleasant in response to you if you simply stop spreading bullshit.

It would be so wonderful if people would simply read and understand the essay /On Bullshit/ by Harry Frankfurt before posting anything to this list. The traffic here would be succinct and entirely useful. Much like OpenBSD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Bullshit

Breeno