Hi,

I'm not an OpenBSD developer, but would like to chime in anyway:

On Wed, 05.05.2010 at 16:08:47 -0300, Christiano F. Haesbaert
<haesba...@haesbaert.org> wrote:
> I'm really sick of hearing about UML/RUP and all this boulshit about
> software engineering in my university.

Many of those things are not really "bullshit", but they aim at
vastly different environments and goals than most free software does.

> My feeling is that someone wrote it, never implemented it, and for
> some stupid reason, the industry/academia bought it.

For RUP, the people who wrote it, had a company running for some years
before being bought out by IBM, where they now produce subsequent
versions of their software, and hone their theories. I'm too lazy to
pull out facts to make similar statements about UML, but these tools
imho address different prob

> So as I regard the openbsd folks as highly skilled developers,

No doubt about that, but

> Is my impression completely wrong ?
>
> Do any of you believe in it ?

what kind of "confidence" do you want for, say, your pacemaker? Or for
a satellite system? Or a worldwide money transfer system? Or your car's
ABS brake? Want to trust millions or billions of dollars and/or human
lives, including your own, to the genius of a handful of people?  And
if so, how do you want to scale? Or how do you want to pass
governmental requirements before being allowed to let the software run?
Would people like OpenBSD developers probably are, be equally
successful in such regulated enviroments, even if they wanted to be in
there in the first place?

Kind regards,
--Toni++