If you hear air rushing sounds like there is a big vacuum leak somewhere.
You want to make sure that all the air has to go through the air flow meter
otherwise the engine will have a hard time running at low rpm but it would
do better if you held the throttle open.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CA%2BV5SC9H3oyKuYHj9o%3DraN0kL21Uuq7hXdiNp8ogEEwP6js_fA%40mail.gmail.com.