To properly test compression, you have to be able to spin the motor at full
starter motor rpm, meaning fully charged battery, and all spark plugs
removed.
Something occurred to me. Have you replaced the O2 sensor? The Motronic
system is sensitive to proper O2 sensor input to the ECU. I have
experienced problems that were caused by bad O2 sensors, either because of
no output, or dead shorts. The early Bosch sensors had pretty short
lifespans, and could fail either way. The latest versions are much more
reliable, and much less expensive. Just be sure to only use the genuine
Bosch units.

~Holland

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mk2-16v/CABrbKB%3DyNn38TV%3D%2BP6cU0g2H_vXpCWaDYkpxo2NVk97ark04%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.