    *From:* Diane Jeffrey <mailto:dianejeff...@roadrunner.com>
    *To:* MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
    <mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
    *Sent:* Sunday, September 27, 2009 10:13 AM
    *Subject:* [MOPO] Profiles in History...question

    John -
I really understand your question here and concern. Let me try to
    elaborate a bit more.
Window cards are made of a layer of very thin paper that the
    poster is printed on.  This paper is adhered to the card stock,
    giving it that thickness.  The really old window cards are usually
    pretty beaten up.  As I said they have been trimmed, but also very
    dirty, moldy, and with the paper being acidic, turning brown,
    faded, bug infestation, etc, etc.  The only way to properly treat
    all of the above problems, is to remove the backing, and treat the
    poster paper  by washing, deacidifying, treating mold etc., just
    like a one sheet is treated and then backed.  You have to treat
    all of the issues to properly preserve the paper, so that it will
    survive the years to come.  To my knowledge, this is the best way
    to do this. I know of no way to accomplish this by treating the
    thick card, there is no assurance that water, chemicals, etc will
    penetrate the thick card, you would have to leave it in solutions
way too long, and the paper would start to disintegrate. Adhering a layer of acid free paper and card stock, to me, does
    not seem to compromise the integrity of the card, but I suppose
    that can be debated.
    If Dario, or anyone else has anything to add, that would be
    great.  We are always looking for the best way to treat and
    preserve these treasures.
    Diane
    Studio C
    Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com