dmb to Marsha:

 Intellect is what you're using to ask the question. It's just the ability to
skillfully handle concepts, abstractions, generalizations and the like.
Intellectual patterns are the products of that skill.

Andre:
What gets me every time I read Marsha's (apparently Buddhist inspired) retorts
claiming 'ever changing amorphous, empty and relative' representations, is that
all of a sudden 'intellect' falls outside of this category. It is 'fixed' and
dominates all. The silliness of it is brilliant and stupid at the same time.

Mr. Pirsig defined the intellectual level (of the MOQ!) as the skillful
manipulation of... this means it is a level continually processing...it is
processing incoming data through experiencing, as a continuous flux of
impressions. That is its function. This data gets a 'place' assigned to it by
the force of the analogues we have built up throughout the accumulation of
such,... defining our lifetime and experiencing here.

I have told Bodvar often and now say to Marsha and all who want to hear: if the
function, ongoing processing of the intellectual level is reduced to mere SOM
reifications then you do not know or realize shit from the MOQ...or from
yourself as an experiencing pattern of values as far as I am concerned.

Let me put it another way: the inorganic level is a "station" through which the
organic level is made possible ( yes, by all means use a railway station). The organic
level is a station through which the social level is made possible and the social station
is the level through which the intellectual level is made possible. All levels are
connected, all level communicate with each other.

If level one (the inorganic) says to the rest:'No way fellas" then nothing will
happen. If you are preparing for, and delivering you thesis and the second level
says:'Man, you gotta pee or shit' this will sabotage all of your intellectual
intentions!You will not be able to perform unless you attend to its requirements and
needs. ( I am not sure how the social level will react to you if you deliver your
thesis without any clothes on but I do know that it will detract the attention off
what you try, intellectually, to present).

All I am saying is that all is in a steady, static, stable flux. But for the
adherents of the SOM/SOL shit to suggest that the intellectual level is a
fixed, bolted, welded level, it sure as hell posits as discounting all Mr.
Pirsig is standing for: Quality...because it is an event...it is pure
experience.