Glen,

Altho i dont know too much about Nigeria in particular, i know that the
citizens of many poor countries dont have the same opportunity to be act
responsibly.  First of all, the media is biased towards the government (eg
Iraq, which tells its people that sadam is basically God).  On the other
hand, Americans are well informed about events and the government (but for
some reason we still managed to elect george w bush for pres.) from a
(mostly) disinterested media.  we have the right to protest our government,
whereas third world citizens could get beaten or murdered for this, have
their houses destroyed, and even their families raped or killed for this.
Would you protest your gov. if you knew that these were the consequences?

rasheed

PS.  Watch 'the killing fields,' a great and powerful movie about Khmer Rouge
and militant oppression in Cambodia.