Glen:
> Oh no we're in agreement! My argument was not supposed to make sense about
> McVeigh.  I would not have executed McVeigh, but I do not represent the
> government of the US.  The point of the thought experiment was to describe
> the most extreme conditions to see if Gerhard would ever support capital
> punishment.  Perhaps a Nazi scenario would have been more effective.  I
> think there is a time and place for capital punishment although it is
> infrequent.

Marco:
I think that if capital punishment is wrong in McVeigh's case, well, it's always
wrong. In *extreme conditions* I don't deny the right to self defense, as well
as the social duty to defend the citizen actively by means of an armed police. I
hate violence, albeit I agree with Asimov's mot: "Violence is the last shelter
of the unable" (retranslated from Italian to English).  If we are not able to
prevent a crime, violence could be the last shelter. But we must be not very
proud for that.

Glen:
> While a Libertarian government would not intervein in Nigeria, a
> Libertarian population would think these corporations actions an outrage
> against the Liberty of their fellow human beings!  What do the corporations
> have to protect?  Their markets!

So you agree that market can't solve those problems. Good. Just I don't agree
that a democratic nation should not intervein. Market comes from western
nations, and IMO western governments should balance the (often unfair)
market intervention.

Glen:
> Hmmm... I think a policy of state non-intervetion in other countries is
> best.  If your population is moral then citizens of like mind will and
> should band together and oppose oppression without the complusion of
> government force.  The market will always be blind and nothing will change
> that, only individuals can be moral.

But individuals can't stop Nike, Chevron or McDonald's.... so, what's the
solution? A Cuban-like revolution? Not enough. No, I can't stop Nike, but a
democratic nation can. And should.

Ciao
Marco