Clover wrote:

Proposal: we have our own look, but with similar bars along the top:
- highest has some few right-justified items to get to www.mozilla.org and a sitemap;

I'd suggest we avoid sitemap. Having the need for a site map usually indicate you are doing something wrong, and needing one when you are still small is a very bad sign.

Ok -- I never use them, but someone must(?). They're all over the web.

- next has a gradient and a left-justified "DevMo" logo, or something as simple yet attractive and even more distinctive;
- lowest/most-used toolbar has: DevMo | Topics | Library | Downloads | Samples | Subscriptions | Worldwide

We could leave out Subscriptions and Worldwide for now, or stub them out and call for volunteers.

don't we already have www.mozilla.org/community/ ?

Not the same. Worldwide would be localized versions of developer.mozilla.org, if we follow the MSDN model. Definitely something for later, unless translators show up soon.

We will hope to get to the point of having so many articles, and such a stream of fresh ones, that we can or must do likewise, but for now, it seems better to me for us to have docs organized in a fairly flat category tree that organizes and includes at least:

DOM (doron has a plan for these docs, I understand)
DOM Inspector
CSS
Gecko Embedding APIs
HTML
Java
JavaScript
JavaScript Debugging APIs
MathML
Python
SVG
Venkman User Docs (there's a great site at http://www.svendtofte.com/code/learning_venkman/ -- maybe we could host it?)
XBL
XML
XPath
XPCOM
XPConnect
XPInstall
XSLT
XUL

let's leave out CSS, HTML, MathML, XML, Python, and XSLT for now. Don't get too ambitious.

Placeholders, commented out if you like.

- What should we use for the repository? CVS is easy for us to set up, and a known quantity with admin support (http://despot.mozilla.org/).

CVS is a big hurdle for many new contributors, both in m.o and mozdev.org. What alternatives do we have?

Myk's doctor CGI ("edit this page" links on the main site) with content-editable would make a decent front end. A wiki front end might placate anyone not happy with doctor.

Let's go! DevMo!

Do we have a schedule for this? I'm trying to get a International Month started on April or May, so I'd like to avoid bad time collision.

DevMo should be under design and incremental construction this week.

/be