Michael Lefevre wrote:
Myk's doctor CGI ("edit this page" links on the main site) with content-editable would make a decent front end. A wiki front end might placate anyone not happy with doctor.

Doctor is fine if you can make the changes there and then

This is in fact true of every single web-based front end I can think of. For actual major changes, there is no reasonable alternative I'm aware of to being able to get the file into whatever text editor you like and edit it, then upload it back to the site. With CVS, this is trivial. Some CMSes support this to some extent. Whatever we do, I feel that we should keep in mind that authoring a document in a textarea is very painful. Especially if we're authoring in some random XML format (so even the limited crutch of Midas is not available).

-Boris