On 2004-03-03, Brendan Eich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Clover wrote:
>
>>> Proposal: we have our own look, but with similar bars along the top:
>>> - highest has some few right-justified items to get to
>>> www.mozilla.org and a sitemap;
>>
>> I'd suggest we avoid sitemap. Having the need for a site map usually
>> indicate you are doing something wrong, and needing one when you are
>> still small is a very bad sign.
>
> Ok -- I never use them, but someone must(?).  They're all over the web.

I think people have them because everyone else does.

I use them on occasion, but those occasions are generally when I've failed
to find what I want using either the navigation/content links or whatever
site search is available (before resorting to google). I don't think
there's anything wrong with having the sitemap, but it shouldn't be
necessary for people to use it to find things.

>>> - What should we use for the repository?  CVS is easy for us to set
>>> up, and a known quantity with admin support
>>> (http://despot.mozilla.org/).
>>
>> CVS is a big hurdle for many new contributors, both in m.o and
>> mozdev.org. What alternatives do we have?
>
> Myk's doctor CGI ("edit this page" links on the main site) with
> content-editable would make a decent front end.  A wiki front end might
> placate anyone not happy with doctor.

Doctor is fine if you can make the changes there and then, but for the
mozilla site, you (at least in theory) need a review, so you have to do
awkward copy/paste operations from doctor into bugzilla, and it generally
ends up being easier to retype the changes rather than attempting to get
the patch from bugzilla back into doctor's web form.  On the other hand, I
don't like wiki either, from what little experience I've had.

>>> Let's go!  DevMo!
>>
>> Do we have a schedule for this? I'm trying to get a International
>> Month started on April or May, so I'd like to avoid bad time collision.
>
> DevMo should be under design and incremental construction this week.

Cool. I'd be happy to help, although I fear there may be a lack of
contributors that understand the technical stuff well, and I'm not much
good in that respect either.

--
Michael